Sunday, February 1, 2009

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

Hi,

I think i should blog this today. I use Windows Server 2003 Standard edition as development cum test server.
I was supposed to setup Sharepoint instance & CMS site. When i tried to run IIS 6.0, the website was stopped & when i tried to start it showed the following error :

"The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

So I googled for the issues and tried the following are the solutions:

1. Disabled firewall

2. Disabled Antivirus for a while & checked.

3. Thought framework might not be installed properly so ran aspnet_regiis -i from C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727


4. Tried update to registry through regedit.exe as suggested by Microsoft support team

5. There was apache server running on the same server. As it was running on port 80, I changed the port for IIS to 82.

6. People in forum adviced to explore events logs, when i tried so i found that there was an error message registered saying "The World Wide Web Publishing Service service terminated with the following error: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done."
I suspected that there might be permission related issue. so gave permission for adminstrator account to default application pool and removed users marked as "Unknow".

7. Then googled further... found SP2(Service pack) for Asp.Net framework 2.0... downloaded & installed that as well...

restarted when ever it was necessary... thought let me take a break or else lets give Server a break (Lol), called it a day.

Next day at work when i was telling my attempts to my collegue, when he tried connecting to the server OMG It worked fine (Lol) I believe installing Framework 2.0 could have helped...

If you have faced a similar scenario please share us your solutions :)

Regards
Fauzi ~4Z






No comments: